How Does McAfee Error 1406 Present?
McAfee Error 1406 is an installation error that often pops up when you are trying to install McAfee Antivirus. The error often pops up and causes your system to freeze and crash frequently. Sometimes, it may even appear when you are shutting down or starting up your system.
How Do I Fix McAfee Error 1406?
Try some of these methods to fix McAfee error 1406 during installation.
Run a Full System McAfee Error Scan 1406
- If you suspect that there might be a virus or another form of malware on your system, run a full system scan.
- Once the suspicious or malicious files are highlighted, remove them immediately and try again.
Repair Windows Registry Entries
- Errors or corruption in the Windows registry entries can be fixed manually but must be done under expert supervision as the smallest mistake can lead to system failure. Make sure to get a backup of the entries before making any edits.
- Open the command prompt.
- Run the command regedit.
- Export the files to make backup copies.
Remove Temporary Files
- o ensure that your system remains running smoothly, you need ample space on your drive. With use, your PC can start to accumulate junk and temporary files that do not automatically remove themselves. Cleaning up your disk can potentially help remove McAfee Install error 1406.
- Go to Start and open up the command prompt.
- Run the command cleanmgr.
- Allow the Disk Cleanup feature of your computer to automatically compile all temporary and junk files.
- Click on Remove to free up a bunch of disk space.
- You can manually update your drivers by finding the latest versions online at McAfee website or downloading them from a USB drive.
- Alternatively, you can use an automated tool such as Driverdoc or the Driver Update Tool to safely perform this upgrade.
Perform System Restore
- Go to Start.
- Search for System Restore.
- You will be asked to enter and submit your administrative credentials including the admin password.
- In the subsequently opening wizard, select the version of Windows that you wish to restore to.
- Restore your computer and restart it.
- This will take you back to the last optimally functioning version of the operating system.
Reinstall McAfee Antivirus
- Go to the Control Panel.
- Head over to Programs and Features.
- Locate McAfee antivirus and click on Uninstall.
- Sign in to your account at www.mcafee.com/activate and reinstall the product.
- If the error still persists, try reinstalling your Windows operating system.
Last Updated on November 15, 2020