McAfee security system is one of those free software applications that comes pre-installed in Apple Personal Computers. Yet it is not what everyone wants. To uninstall McAfee , you could either refer to the official website or follow the steps given in this article.
You might probably be here to uninstall McAfee because it bothers you with its renewal notifications. Your McAfee security application can be either McAfee LiveSafe, McAfee Security Scan Plus, McAfee Antivirus, or any other system security software from the company.
Note: While we understand your necessity to delete McAfee, it is crucial to have some form of antivirus protection for your PC.
How to get rid of McAfee on your Windows Computer?
Windows 10 made a lot of changes to the conventional application management systems. As a result, uninstalling McAfee has become a lot easier. Here is how you can get rid of McAfee application with Windows’ tools.
Follow the steps given below to uninstall McAfee from your computer.
- Open the Settings menu. You can do this by clicking on the Start button found in the bottom left-hand corner and then on the cog icon. Or you can manually search for the “Settings” option using the search box on Windows and clicking on the relevant option.
- Open “Apps” on your computer.
- Search for “McAfee” using the search box .
- Click on the “Uninstall” button. When prompted, confirm by clicking on the “Uninstall” button again.
- Windows will automatically ask you to continue uninstalling, since it is an administrative function. As soon as you confirm, you will be led to the McAfee uninstaller. Although every version is a bit different, yet following through these instructions will get you the same result.
- Finally, after following these steps, you would have successfully deleted McAfee product from your computer. This entire process is the same for uninstalling any app from your Windows computer.
How to uninstall McAfee using McAfee Consumer Product Removal (MCPR) tool?
Chances are that working through the Windows App menu may prove to be unsuccessful for you. Additionally, there might still be some components of McAfee software lurking in your system. In that case, you can always use the MCPR. However, after MCPR stops its operation, it demands a reboot. So you must save all your work before starting with the MCPR procedure.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Download the latest edition of McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool from McAfee’s official website.
- Run the tool as soon as the download is complete because it does not need an installation.
- Accept the license agreement on the prompt dialog box and input the requested CAPTCHA code. Then, click on “Next“. Wait for McAfee to uninstall completely. After this, you can access more information about the process by clicking on “View Logs”.
- If requested to reboot the system, ensure that you save all your work before going ahead.
How to delete McAfee on your MacOS Computer
For several MacOS applications, uninstalling may simply include dragging a folder to the trash icon. But uninstalling McAfee software can be a bit more complicated than that. Luckily, there is an effective way by which you can go about it.
- Step 1: Sign in to your administrator account if necessary. Then, open your “Applications” folder and from it select the “Utilities” folder. Open up the “Terminal” folder from the “Utilities” folder.
- Step 2: You can create a manual command in the “Terminal” folder to uninstall McAfee application, but it should be precise. If you are planning to remove McAfee’s 4.8 version, or any of McAfee’s earlier software, you should enter sudo /Library/McAfee/cma/uninstall.sh. If, on the other hand, you are using version 5.0 or later, you would want to enter sudo /Library/McAfee/cma/scripts/uninstall.sh. Press “Enter” after you are done.
- Step 3: Your MacOS computer should finally remove all McAfee files. As soon as the process is over, reboot your Mac computer and live your life free from McAfee.
Chances are that even a Terminal command proves to be insufficient for completely removing McAfee. You might still see unwanted pop-ups or other remnants even after getting rid of McAfee. In this scenario, the best alternative is to download a reliable uninstaller app and use it to forcibly extract any remaining McAfee files. AppCleaner is one of such options. But you can choose the uninstaller of your preference!